etymology- French word means- ménagerie. From Middle French, management of a household or farm, from menage.
adapted from Merriam-webster

Sunday, January 9, 2011

How to eat your oatmeal

There is only one thing in the world that would induce me to eat oatmeal porridge. Mom guilt. From age 15 to age 33 the foul, slimy concoction never crossed these fair lips. Three of my four daughters were unconcerned. They’re contrary, I just scream and howl about how they can’t make me eat something and they try to convince me of how good and healthy it is. Daughter number 4 just joined me in the resistance. Every good mom knows that her kids have to eat a certain amount of oatmeal or… or… something bad will happen. My lack of moral authority and will power to make her gag down cold oatmeal was not lost on her. Therefore, in the name of motherhood I made up a really tasty pot of oats with apples and cinnamon and prepared to happily choke down two tablespoons coated with plenty of brown sugar. It wasn’t too bad without the cold lumps and tears. Much to the amusement of my husband and children, I would eat it in a box, I would eat it with a fox… at least a nice lady like amount with a lot of sugar.

Here’s my current favorite oatmeal recipe. Double and make ahead for quick week-day breakfasts, it re-heats in the microwave faster than you can make instant oats.


Baked peach oatmeal.

Preheat oven to 350.

2 cups rolled oats

¼ cup brown sugar

½ tsp. salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

¼ to ½ tsp. cloves

1 cup milk

1 29 oz can sliced peaches, drained and chopped.

3 eggs, slightly beaten

2 tsp vanilla

Topping.

2 Tb cold butter

2 Tb brown sugar

¼ cup chopped walnuts

Stir together the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients in order listed. Crumble topping ingredients together and sprinkle on top of oatmeal mixture after pouring into a greased 8x8 pan, bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.





1 comment:

  1. That sounds yummy! I'm going to have to try that one. Breakfast is notoriously boring around here.. almost always oatmeal or cream of wheat... this might be a nice change to our usual routine.

    ReplyDelete